There are many things you can do to live more sustainably, reducing your carbon footprint. Most things are very easy to implement into your daily routine and can make a big impact on helping our ecosystem. Some simple sustainable living ideas and tips you need to know if you are not already doing are as follows.
Sustainable living involves reducing the number of Earth's resources you use to help restore and protect our environment.
This can include various things such as limiting your energy usage, using eco-friendly or reusable products, and changing what you eat.
These practices impact our environment and cause issues like pollution and climate change, which ultimately are harmful to us and our surroundings.
Ways to Live Sustainably
Sustainability is something that everyone should be accountable for, as we all share on this beautiful planet. Some of how you can live sustainably include;
- Stop using plastics and invest in package free, BYO or reusable containers
- Reducing household energy when including electricity, investing in solar renewable energy
- Conserve water by collecting rainwater for plants. Turning off the tap when brushing your teeth. Filling the sink when washing dishes instead of letting the water run and taking shorter showers
- Walk when you can, drive less, or invest in an eco-car if you can
- Eat locally and seasonally. This reduces food waste and is better for you. It also helps the environment with exporting products from a distance
- Dispose of all things mindfully. Know where to dispose of toxic wastes. Another simple way could be to use newspaper instead of plastic bin liners
- Recycle! Most things can be reused or recycled in some way so educate yourself
- Eat less meat, which helps to lower greenhouse gas emissions
- Don’t waste food. It takes time and energy to produce, transport, and store food
- Repair things that break instead of replacing them
- Wear sustainable clothing
- Use eco-friendly cleaning products it is better for the environment
- Invest in reusables, things like keep-cups, and cloth bags
- Go paperless with dockets at shopping stores and opt for getting bills via email
- Drink from the tap filter to reduce the need for plastic bottles
- Grow your own produce in your backyard
- Donate items unwanted to charities or friends this helps prolong the life and reduce waste. Baby items and products are great in this case as you only need them for a short period
- Buy fair trade products from companies that invest in a sustainable lifestyle
Other Daily Tips for Making Life Sustainable
Here are a few more easy sustainable tips to apply to your day.
- Use a bamboo toothbrush
- Carry a zero-waste bag in your car at all times with items such as reusable coffee cups, drink bottles, cloth grocery bags, food storage bags, etc
- Try to avoid using the aircon in the home. If you can open a window or get windows tinted to help reduce the need for using energy
- Plan your meals to help reduce food waste and spending extra at the supermarket
- Use bar soap and shampoo to reduce the amount of plastic
- Make your own beauty products with raw materials and keep them in a reusable container. This can be anything from coffee body scrubs to body butter and lip balms
- Use reusable sanitary options such as a menstrual cup or period underwear or switch to more eco-designed pads such as Toms
- Make your own cleaning products with vinegar, water, and dishwashing liquid
- Use a cloth or washable nappies for babies
- Borrow items from friends or family instead of buying new ones. This could be anything from wearing a dress for a special occasion or using camping gear
- Set up compost in your backyard from scraps
- Use a clothesline to dry clothing instead of a dryer
- Invest in a reusable cloth for cleaning instead of paper towels
- Pay bills online and go paperless
- Buy second-hand
- Use loose-leaf teas and coffee grinds instead of pods
- Share a ride to work
Kickstart your sustainable lifestyle by investing in one of our sustainable bundle packs online.
These also make great gift ideas and are meant to be kept for the long haul. Investing in quality products and brands will help make your sustainable living simpler.